Anthony Yarde could have his next fight announced next week.
The Ilford light-heavyweight is the number one contender with the WBO and has his sights firmly set on a showdown with Artur Beterbiev.
It was mentioned recently that a date before the end of the year would be likely for the match-up and Bob Arum, the Top Rank promoter has confirmed as much.
He said that the O2 Arena in London is booked for the end of October – and Boxing Social understands the fight will take place on October 22.
Beterbiev, the IBF and WBC champion, was most recently in action just last month when he dethroned Joe Smith Jr. to add the WBO crown to the ever-growing collection as he bids to become undisputed, with just Dmitry Bivol, the WBA champion, the only other obstacle.
Yarde will go into the fight with Beterbiev hoping to call on his previous experience up at the top table in the 175-pound division.
‘The Beast From The East’ was on the wrong end of an 11th-round stoppage against Sergey Kovalev, who at the time held the WBO title, back in 2019 at the Traktor Sport Palace in Chelyabinsk, Russia.
Speaking to FightHype, Arum said:
“No, we’re talking to Beterbiev, and have a date at the end of October in the UK against Yarde.”
“I think Frank Warren is holding the O2 in London and Beterbiev has been on vacation.”
“His lawyer has been on vacation, but next week, we’re scheduled to talk to him, and hopefully, we’ll finalise that fight.”
Beterbiev is understood to have recently had surgery on a leg injury in the aftermath of his win over Smith Jr. and full confirmation of the fight between the Russian and Yarde will come in due course.
The broadcast situation could prove difficult, however, as Top Rank has a deal with ESPN Stateside and Sky Sports in the UK, while Warren’s charge Yarde has fought exclusively on BT Sport.