News

Joyce-Takam confirmed for July 24

Joe Joyce’s clash with former heavyweight title challenger Carlos Takam has been confirmed for July 24 at The SSE Arena, Wembley, live on BT Sport in the UK.

British, European and Commonwealth champion Joyce (12-0, 11 KOs) returns after his 10th round win against the previously unbeaten Daniel Dubois in November.

Victory against the battle-tested Cameroonian Takam (39-5-1, 28 KOs) should cement Joyce’s status as the next WBO mandatory challenger.

Promoter Frank Warren said: “It was a great win for Joe against Daniel Dubois. He has been inactive since then because we have been waiting for WBO title situation between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk to be finalised.

“Had that fight not happened Joe would have been fighting Usyk for the vacant title, so we had to wait and see what the outcome would be. That situation has been sorted. Joe will become the mandatory challenger for the winner and get his world title fight – should he beat Carlos Takam.

“It is a testament to Joe’s character that he’d take a fight as difficult as this when a world title fight is waiting round the corner. This is a dangerous, dangerous fight and Joe needs to make sure he doesn’t let Carlos come in and take everything he’s worked so hard for.”

Joyce added: “I only want competitive fights but everyone wants to avoid me. Carlos Takam didn’t even want to spar me in Las Vegas, so I’m surprised he’s taken the fight. He has operated at a high level for a long time but on July 24 ‘The Juggernaut’ will be activated… and I will run him over.”

Takam will be boxing in Britain for the fourth time, having recently beaten American Jerry Forrest in Las Vegas.

“I am excited about my fight on July 24!” said Takam. “Hey Joe, let’s give the great boxing fans in the UK an exciting fight! Be ready because I am a problem.”

The heavyweight bout will whet the appetite for the WBC title fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder later that night.