Eddie Hearn has told Boxing Social that an official announcement for the world heavyweight title rematch between Oleksandr Usyk and Anthony Joshua will come next week.
The Matchroom promoter was speaking to Andi Purewal yesterday as Joshua Buatsi and Craig Richards led public workouts for Saturday’s show at the O2 Arena, London.
With the fight only two months away, Hearn was asked why there had been a hold up.
“Just contracts,” he said.
“Making sure various agreements are in place, payments are in place. You will get an announcement next week on that fight because we’re coming up to nine weeks to go till that fight. July 23 is still the front-runner. Expect an official announcement on Joshua-Usyk next week.”
As for a location it looks increasingly certain that Joshua’s attempts to get his WBO, WBA and IBF belts back from the gifted Ukrainian will take place in the Middle East.
“At the moment it looks like the front-runner,” Hearn confirmed.