WBA featherweight champion Leigh Wood says Michael Conlan has never been in a “proper fight” and that will come into play when the two men fight one another in March.
Wood makes the first defence of his title, he won so impressively against Can Xu last year, on March 12 in front of his home support at Nottingham Arena.
Since his professional debut five years ago Conlan has gone unbeaten but against Wood he has his toughest test to date.
“He’s never been in a 50-50 fight, never been an underdog,” Wood told Boxing Social’s Andi Purewal.
“He’s never been in a situation where he might even lose a fight. This in my opinion is a 50-50. Mick, on paper, has never been in a proper fight. I’ve been in these fights; I’ve come through these fights. The Reece Mould [fight], the Can Xu fight, the Oliver Joyce fight. He’s never been in these situations where you look at it on paper it can go either way and I think that’s going to get to him. He’s not on the A-side which he normally is.”
Click here to watch our interview with Leigh Wood in full.