Anthony Joshua has denied any knowledge of talks for a fight against long time rival Dillian Whyte after his promoter, Eddie Hearn, said offers ‘were being presented’ to ‘The Body Snatcher’.
Joshua’s team have made no secret of the fact they are looking to fight in August before going into a blockbuster clash against Deontay Wilder in December.
In an interview with iFL TV, Hearn made it clear they were targeting a ‘risky’ fight against Whyte for August 12th and that he was Joshua’s preferred opponent.
“The Dillian Whyte fight is a very dangerous fight for ‘AJ’.
It’s a very ballsy fight to go into when you’ve got that payday against Deontay Wilder in December, but that’s his preferred fight. That fight’s got to get done, but that is his preferred opponent for August.”
Hearn then confirmed that ‘offers were being presented’ to Whyte that day.
“AJ wants to fight in August. We’ve got offers being presented to him [Dillian Whyte] today.
He’s going to want probably more money than the offer will be, and then we go from there.
Hopefully, we can deliver a deal for Dillian that he’s pleased with and wants to fight and wants the opportunity, but obviously, he’s gonna have his demands as well.
We need the fight announced in the next two to the weeks, but maybe even sooner. We’re not limited to Dilian Whyte but I think it’s a great fight.”
However, Joshua now taken to social media saying he’s unaware of any talks for a rematch against his old foe.
“I don’t know about any talks to fight Dillian Whyte.”
‼️ Anthony Joshua on Instagram… pic.twitter.com/kiISTiN7IS
— Michael Benson (@MichaelBensonn) June 2, 2023
Last week Tyson Fury made an offer to fight AJ in September, but Hearn said they weren’t prepared to derail their two fight plan on the ‘hope’ that the WBC champion was being genuine.