News

Arum: Delayed Fury-Joshua mega-fight could take place in Britain

If there is a potential silver lining to the failed undisputed heavyweight title clash between WBC king Tyson Fury and WBA Super, WBO and IBF champion Anthony Joshua, its postponement could mean the hotly-anticipated showdown takes place on British soil as Covid-19 restrictions hopefully ease.

Fury-Joshua was, of course, scheduled to be announced for August 14 in Saudi Arabia before the ‘Gypsy King’ was ordered by arbitration to face bitter rival Deontay Wilder in a previously contracted trilogy fight instead.

Now Fury will meet former foe Wilder in Las Vegas on July 24 whilst Joshua has switched his focus to a September 25 collision with WBO No.1 contender Oleksandr Usyk at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Should both men emerge victorious, Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum says the heavyweight ’Battle of Britain’ could now actually take place there.

“Next time around, if it’s Joshua and Tyson Fury, first of all, where should the fight be held? There’s a big argument that by that time, the pandemic is behind us, we wait until the spring and we do it in Wembley, or one of the big arenas,” Arum told Sky Sports.

“If we wanted to do it in winter, we can do it in Cardiff [at the Principality Stadium], because [of] 70,000 [plus] seats, indoor arena [the Welsh national stadium has a retractable roof], or it can go [back] to Saudi Arabia.”