The next opponent for Jermell Charlo’s undisputed super welterweight title may not be WBO mandatory challenger Tim Tszyu after all.
Last month the governing body ordered negotiations to take place between both parties following Charlo’s rematch win over Brian Castaño. And just a couple of days ago their President Paco Valcárcel revealed to ESPN Knockout that an agreement had been reached for the two to fight.
However, there was a twist to come which was revealed yesterday by leading boxing journalist Dan Rafael.
Bakhram Murtazaliev, the IBF mandatory challenger, has a signed agreement with Charlo dated January 24, 2022, which notes that the American would fight him if he still held the IBF title after the fight against Castaño.
Murtazaliev’s team have contacted Paco Valcárcel as well as Charlo’s promoter Tom Brown reminding them of the contract which they have accused the WBO of ‘interfering with’.
Tszyu’s promoter Matt Rose told WA Today that he had no idea about the IBF mandatory and hoped to still work something out for his fighter.
“We’ve agreed to fight Charlo, I can only go off what we’ve done,” Rose said. “I don’t know anything in relation to a deal with Bakhram. We’re trying to work this out ourselves.
“Is it a concern? We don’t know the circumstances, so I can’t comment on that. We understand his position as well – if they have a deal in place and we have a deal in place, it’s a bit of a mess.”