The potentially thrilling, all-Mexican war between WBC super-featherweight champion Miguel Berchelt and No.1 contender Oscar Valdez has been confirmed for the ‘Bubble’ at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on February 20.
“Miguel Berchelt and Oscar Valdez are two proud Mexican warriors who will give boxing fans a memorable fight,” said Top Rank chairman Bob Arum. “Top Rank promoted all three bouts between Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales and I view Berchelt-Valdez as this generation’s Barrera-Morales.”
Berchelt (38-1, 34 KOs) has held the WBC super-featherweight crown since January 2017 when he knocked out Francisco Vargas in the 11th round. His last five title defences have ended inside the distance.
“This fight is the one that I dreamed of since we were both amateur fighters,” said Berchelt. “Valdez is a great fighter and it will be a great fight. I am preparing with everything to win by knockout and leave no doubt that I am the best super-featherweight in the world.”
Valdez (28-0, 22 KOs) vacated hisWBO featherweight world title last year after six title defences including a war against Scott Quigg, where he suffered a severely broken jaw. “Whenever there are two Mexicans in the ring, it is a guaranteed war and it will be an honor for me to bring a great war to my fans,” said Valdez.
The 10-round co-feature, also at 130lbs, will see rising 20-year-old star Gabriel Flores Jr. (19-0, 6 KOs) face former world champion Andrew ‘El Chango’ Cancio (21-5-2, 16 KOs) in crossroads battle of Californians. Both bouts will be televised live on ESPN and ESPN Deportes in the US from 10pm ET/7pm PT.