Canelo Alvarez hopes that his fight against Billy Joe Saunders this Saturday will not require the judges scorecards.
Saunders has been vocal about the fact that there is no British judge for his unification bout against the Mexican in Dallas. And the WBO champion has voiced concerns over what he perceives to be a history of controversial decisions going in Canelo’s favour.
“We are in the USA,” said Alvarez speaking on Brian Custer’s Last Stand podcast.
“I’m not from here. I’m from Mexico, he’s from England. There’s no Mexican judges. It’s just excuses. At the end of the day, I hope I don’t need judges.
The WBC and WBA champion also said: “I’m not the same guy [from] 5-6 years ago. I’m different, I have experience, I am [a] more mature boxer. He can say whatever he wants. May 8 he is going to be in a different level fight.”
The 30-year-old could be on the lookout for a new network to fight on too after Saturday night. The Saunders bout represents Canelo’s second and final one of what was a two-fight deal made with Matchroom earlier this year. Canelo’s first fight working with Eddie Hearn saw him make light work of Avni Yildirim back in February in a WBC mandatory defence meaning the short-term agreement concludes this Saturday night.
Canelo was asked about the possibility of fighting on a different platform. Showtime could be tempted into doing a deal which could see the pound-for-pound number one going up against some of the Premier Boxing Champions super middleweights.
“Maybe. Why not. This is my last fight with DAZN. I hope [to] work with Eddie no matter what. But why not. Maybe.”
Canelo told Custer that his only aim is to become undisputed champion at 168lbs and to give the fans the best fights. So, it would appear that IBF champion Caleb Plant is next on his list should Alvarez take Saunders’ WBO title on Saturday night.
“That’s what I want. [I] want all the titles in this division. My first move is Billy Joe Saunders. I need to win but then the next champion is Plant and that is my goal.”