The Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California will stage the undisputed super-welterweight title rematch between Jermell Charlo and Brian Castaño on May 14.
Both fighters fought to a split decision draw in their first thrilling encounter in July 2021. Castaño then withdrew from the original March 19 date for the second fight citing a bicep injury as the reason. And although Charlo-Castaño was announced last week as part of Showtime’s nine-show schedule it was without a venue.
“Charlo and Castaño have proven once again that they are true warriors by going directly into this rematch that fans across the world demanded after the conclusion of their dramatic and unforgettable first fight,” said Tom Brown, President of TGB Promotions.
“Now, the rabid sports fans in Southern California and watching live on Showtime will get a front row seat to what shapes up to be an exceptional sequel at Dignity Health Sports Park, a venue renowned for hosting all-action contests.”
Charlo (34-1-1, 18 KOs) recently told Brian Custer’s Last Stand Podcast he was not convinced of Castaño’s reason for pulling out from the first date for the rematch. The WBA, WBC and IBF champion now has another chance to become undisputed champion and intends to make his childhood ambition come true.
“I’m the unified champ and I’ve got business to finish,” said Charlo. “My total goal as a kid was to win all of the belts as a professional and I plan to make history yet again on May 14, in front of my west coast fans and all across the world. If you know me, you know how I don’t take opportunities lightly. Lions Only, the time is now! Make sure you tune-in May 14.”
Castaño (17-0-2, 12 KOs), the WBO champion, told media after the first fight that he was robbed of victory against Charlo. The scorecards on the night read 114-113 in favour of the Argentinian, 117-111 in favour of Charlo and a 114-114 draw. Now, second time around he intends to ensure that the officials won’t be needed.
“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to face Charlo again for all four titles,” said Castaño. “This is champion vs. champion, just like it should be. The first fight was a great war. The rematch will be no different, but this time I won’t leave it in the judges’ hands. This is my era, and I will prove it.”
The Charlo-Castaño 2 undercard features highly regarded unbeaten welterweight Jaron Ennis in an IBF title eliminator against Custio Clayton. While kicking off the Showtime broadcast will be unbeaten super-bantamweight Kevin González taking on Emmanuel Rivera over 10 rounds.