Fresh after his dominant win against Tugstsogt Nyambayar on Saturday Brooklyn native Chris Colbert said he would love to headline a card at the Barclays Center against Leo Santa Cruz.
Colbert defended his WBA Interim super-featherweight title in Carson winning a clean sweep on the scorecards and now the 24-year-old has set his sights on a marquee night in his home borough.
“Me versus Leo Santa Cruz. He got a tremendous fanbase, he’s a hell of a champion, four-division world champion and I’m a future world champion so why not let’s make it happen,” Colbert said in the post-fight press conference.
Colbert, undefeated after 16 fights, was asked by the media if he had a message for the Mexican warrior but instead paid respect to ‘El Terremento’.
“I tip off my hat to him, there’s no disrespect coming from me, I think me and him would be a hell of a fight and that’s something that the fans would love to see.”
Santa Cruz, who has amassed a 40-fight record in his career to date, hasn’t fought since Halloween last year when Gervonta Davis knocked him out in emphatic fashion. The WBA ‘Regular’ title fight ended when ‘Tank’ blew away his 32-year-old foe with a hellacious uppercut in the sixth round. Davis moved up to 140lbs to beat Mario Barrios for another WBA bauble last month. Colbert was asked about potential fights at 130lbs and 135lbs but says he is staying put at super-featherweight. He does, however, have his sights set on a fight with Davis in the future.
“For 130 let’s make some fights happen, I’m not here to be doing all the talking about fights that might not happen because I know a lot of these fights can’t happen. We got Gervonta Davis over here [at PBC] but that’s not a fight that’s going to happen because it don’t make money right now. It’s got to make money to make sense. Me and Gervonta Davis would definitely be a super-fight in the future, and I would like that to happen one day.”