It has been confirmed that mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois will be next to get a shot at WBA heavyweight title holder Trevor Bryan.
The governing body issued a statement today (Tuesday) saying Bryan and Dubois were told to begin negotiations immediately and would have 180 days to complete them.
Bryan, who holds the ‘World’ title, while Oleksandr Usyk is their ‘Super’ champion, was granted special permission to make his first defence against Jonathan Guidry. The fight took place on Saturday which Bryan won on points.
“The WBA gave a period of 180 days from the date of that defence, to make the mandatory fight against Dubois,” it said in their statement.
Speaking to Boxing Social on Monday Dubois’ promoter Frank Warren hoped the WBA would put in a “very short term of negotiation, because if we can’t agree with in a few days let’s go to purse bids”.
This time last year Dubois wasn’t in the WBA’s top 15. By the time their March ratings had been issued the (17-1, 16 KOs) contender was at number 10. From there the only way was up.
Having teamed up with new trainer Shane McGuigan Dubois bounced back from his sole loss to Joe Joyce in 2020 to win two out of two last year against Bogdan Dinu and Joe Cusumano.
Dubois was in the ring for just over six minutes between Telford and his American debut in Cleveland. The 24-year-old had been slated to return in March, but the likelihood is it will be later than that.
“You are in my way,” Dubois told Bryan via Instagram. “See you soon.”
“Indeed we will little homie,” the New Yorker replied.
“My campaign overseas will be starting very soon.”