Eddie Hearn still isn’t convinced that there will be an undisputed heavyweight championship fight between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk in April.
The promoter does, however think the fight will happen in the future.
Negotiations for the four-belt clash between the WBC Champion, Fury, and the WBA, WBO, and IBF Champion, Usyk, have been ongoing since December last year.
After initial interest from Saudi Arabia deteriorated, fans have been assured, despite nothing official, that the fight will take place on April 29 at London’s Wembley Stadium.
Hearn told Fight Hub TV that he was ‘very surprised’ about the 70/30 split before casting doubt on the fight’s timeline.
“I don’t think it will happen April 29th but I hope it does. I do think it will happen. Good luck to both.”
Little has changed publicly since the interview on Match 14, however behind the scenes the story could be different entirely.
Two of the most bullish people about the bout’s chances are Tyson Fury and his promoter, Frank Warren. The fighter has commenced his ‘social media blackout’ for training camp, and signed off his final video message to USyk by wishing him the best.
Warren said recently that there was nothing more he could add – the fight was happening. Despite these confidences, fans will be eager to hear of a signed contract and see an official announcement.
Should Hearn be correct and the event be pushed back, the teams will be faced with yet more negotiating.
Usyk’s side have made it clear that the 30% purse accepted by their man will only apply to the April date, and will put their foot down on 50/50 for any other option.