Former world champion Krzysztof Glowacki says he has spotted flaws in Lawrence Okolie’s style and plans to exploit them when the duo meet for the vacant WBO cruiserweight title at The SSE Arena in Wembley on Saturday night.
The Pole previously held the WBO belt and plans to reclaim his old title after a 21-month absence from a boxing ring. He was originally slated to meet Londoner Okolie in December, but was forced to withdraw on the week of the fight after a positive Covid-19 test. Now Glowacki is raring to go and ready to take the world title back to Poland and become a three-time champion.
“I’m very happy I can finally fight after such a long layoff,” said Glowacki (31-2, 19 KOs). “I was absolutely devastated when I found out I was Covid positive, but every cloud has a silver lining. Now I feel better than in December. When I came back to training after Covid, I had some stamina issues, but everything is okay now. I feel pumped up and ready.
“I’m hugely motivated for this fight. I’m going to have a great opponent in front of me who has big ambitions of his own. I heard Okolie had some plans to unify, but he has to beat me and it’s not going to happen. I will retrieve my belt and I will bring it back to Poland. I will become WBO world champion for the third time in my career, there is no other option.
“Okolie is unbeaten, he’s big and he’s strong. He has long arms and a huge reach, but I’ve noticed some weaknesses that you will see on the night. I’m ready for this fight and I’m ready to beat him. You will see on Saturday how I will beat him up. I’ve had a lot of sparring partners who were tall and uncomfortable.
“The support I receive from the Polish people will always motivate me. It’s a shame that they cannot support me in person because a lot of people would have turned out to support me in London, but instead they will be cheering me on in front of their televisions. I’ll bring the belt home for them.”