As revealed on Boxing Social last week promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed today that he is trying to make a fight between Leigh Wood and Mauricio Lara.
John A. MacDonald reported that Wood was in line to defend his WBA ‘Regular’ featherweight title on September 24 in Nottingham against the Mexican.
Lara will be remembered for his brilliant and destructive performance against Josh Warrington in February 2021. That night brought a brutal end to the ‘Leeds Warrior’ unbeaten run after being stopped in the ninth round.
The two men then met again in a highly anticipated rematch outdoors at Headingley Stadium seven months later. Sadly, just as the fight got going it was ended after an accidental clash of heads resulting in Lara being cut over the left eye.
The power-punching ‘Bronco’ then went on to blitz Emilio Sanchez in three rounds in March this year.
In the same month Warrington moved forward and became a two-time IBF featherweight champion beating Kiko Martinez in another bruising contest.
During today’s media events for his Dalton Smith-Sam O’Maison card on Saturday, Hearn told DAZN’s Chris Lloyd that Wood wants to take on the challenge of Lara.
“Leigh Wood looks to be defending his championship at the end of September. I’ll say it, he wants and we’re trying to make Mauricio Lara which is the most ballsy move.”
— DAZN Boxing (@DAZNBoxing) August 4, 2022
Wood had hoped to get a shot at WBA ‘Super’ champion Leo Santa Cruz. However, the proposed purse split was appealed by Hearn who believed his title holder should be entitled to more than 25%.
The purse bid for that fight is to be held on August 12, but Wood may now be veering toward a collision with Lara, says Hearn.
“We’ve got the Santa Cruz issue; we’ve got the potential [Josh] Warrington unification for next year. And Leigh Wood and (trainer) Ben Davison, particularly Leigh Wood went, ‘I fancy Mauricio Lara’”
“It’s a massive fight and fair play to him for even considering it and that’s a fight we’re looking at.”
The Nottingham fighter was dropped in the first round and looked to be heading toward a loss in his maiden title defence.
The final two rounds produced drama that will be talked about for years to come. Conlan was put down in the penultimate session before being knocked out in the 12th which saw the Northern Irishman fall through the ropes and exit the ring.