Some fights don’t need trash talk or wild behaviour to sell a fight and Roman Gonzalez versus Julio Cesar Martinez is one of those.
The fight’s final press conference took place yesterday ahead of their eagerly anticipated showdown on Saturday night at the Penchanga Arena in San Diego.
It pits experience against youth and a living legend against a young man trying to become one.
“We have a great opponent in Martinez,” said Gonzalez.
The Nicaraguan multi-weight world champion had been due to face Juan Francisco Estrada for a third time, but the Mexican had to withdraw having contracted Covid-19 symptoms. His countryman jumped at the opportunity and will face one of the sport’s all-time greats without having to defend his WBC flyweight title.
Gonzalez, 34, said he was also happy to be taking on the 27-year-old.
“When they offered me that fight, I accepted it with pleasure. I have an opponent that comes forward but I’m going to come forward, it’s going to be a tremendous fight and I think the fans are going to be really happy with the fight.
“I love all the Mexican people; I’ve had the opportunity to fight against many Mexican people. I know Nicaraguan people are going to come out here and support, but the most important thing is we have God on our side. He gives me the strength and the blessing; I hope to walk away with my hand raised in victory.”
Martinez, promoted by Eddie Hearn, won his first world title in December 2019, and has defended it four times since. However, ‘El Rey’ understands that this is by far the biggest test of his seven-year career to date.
“It’s a big challenge,” he said.
“I’m very excited and motivated to be fighting a big legend like Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez. I want to thank him for choosing us in this big fight, like I say with everything but fear, anywhere and against anyone.“As always, we’re prepared for everything, decision, for it to be a clash, a technical fight. We’re coming in here well trained; I want to make sure the public walks away with a good taste in their mouth.”