Jermaine Franklin has added fuel to the fire of rumours that he’s next up to face Anthony Joshua – or is it just an attempt to encourage the Brit’s team to make a decision?
Since two consecutive defeats to Oleksandr Usyk, Anthony Joshua is – whether his team admit it or not – in comeback mode.
As an undisputed bout between the Ukrainian and Tyson Fury is being negotiated, ‘AJ’ is readying a new training set up and ring return that will kick off his attempts to become three-time world champion.
It seems Franklin, best know to UK fans for his recent defeat to Dillian Whyte, is the current front runner to face AJ. The previously undefeated heavyweight put up a good fight on away soil, with many thought he was hard done by in the majority decision loss.
Franklin tweeted that it was time to make the Joshua fight.
“I’m ready. Time to give the fans what they want. Two great boxers who want to put the fans interest first, USA vs UK.”
“I’m ready. Time to give the fans what they want. Two great boxers who want to put the fans interest first, USA vs UK.” #peoplechampvsformerchamp#anthonyjoshua@SalitaProm@matchroomboxing@DAZNBoxingpic.twitter.com/L3DshdiUQO
— Jermaine Franklin Jr (Official Pg) (@JermaineFrankl6) January 17, 2023
It’s worth noting that he’s not the only contender calling for the former unified champion’s next fight – including Otto Wallin, who shares a manager with Franklin. Undefeated Aussie, Dempsey McKean was in the mix, but has recently told Boxing Social that those rumours have ‘sizzled out.’
Franklin had similar posts in the run up to his fight with Whyte – calling for it before it was signed, or at least announced. The reality is though that only a select few people know who will be in the opposite corner from Joshua.
His promoter, Eddie Hearn, said the hold up in finalising the bout was due to the team being keen to have their new trainer’s input.
Derrick James is the man who is likely to be guiding Joshua, but, much like an opponent, that’s yet to be formally announced.