As things stand, Conor Benn will not be fighting under the auspices of the British Boxing Board of Control if and when he fights Chris Eubank Jr.
It was all but confirmed this week that the two British rivals are set to face each other on February 3 2024 at London’s Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Benn has always claimed his innocence but, despite a provisional suspension being lifted earlier this year, he is still involved with an appeal process brought by the Board and the UK Anti-Doping Agency.
In something of a blow to those planning the fight, the British Boxing Board of Control’s General Secretary Robert Smith says permission to compete will not be granted to Benn currently under investigation.
Former cruiserweight world champion turned Sky pundit Johnny Nelson has now reacted to those comments via Boxing Social, saying he isn’t ‘at all’ surprised by the application being rejected.
“It doesn’t matter what is said by the promoters or people around them, The Board, if they set precedent and said yeh ‘ok then, they make a rod for their own back.”
He went on to say he never thought the fight would happen.
“When the date was set I thought that isn’t happening. Eubank Jr, after his last fight, is now in a position to choose, If he gets in the ring with Benn he jeopardises his own career ’cause he gets a suspension of his own so why get involved in someone else’s argument?”
He was then asked what impression is sent if the promoters try to make the fight with another Board.
“It’s not good at all. The Board has to stay firm, stay strong and say no. The Board has done the right thing.”
This latest blow to this ill-fated fight could prove the most difficult of them all to overcome.