The rematch theme on July 9 at The O2 Arena continues after it was announced Israel Madrimov (8-0, 6 KOs) and Michel Soro (35-3-1, 24 KOs) will run it back.
The final eliminator for the WBA Super Welterweight title slots in as support for the Dereck Chisora-Kubrat Pulev main event.
Madrimov and Soro met in December last year with a ninth round TKO the official result for the unbeaten Uzbeki. However, three months ago the WBA ordered a rematch due to the controversy which surrounded the fight’s conclusion.
Madrimov, who had initially hurt Soro, then landed a number of shots after the end of round nine prompting referee Salvador Salva to stop the fight. The Spanish official claimed he didn’t hear the bell much to the protest of Soro’s team. After several minutes of deliberation ringside officials gave Madrimov the victory.
“After the first fight I told my team right away, if the way the fight ended requires a rematch, I am willing to do it,” said Madrimov in a press release.
“I do not want any unanswered questions left. Let the best man win this time honourably and decisively. We are having a good camp and will be ready for July 9.”
“Madrimov is a great fighter and an exemplary sportsman, a very respectful man,” said Soro. “This fight is crucial for each of us, we are going to war. I will be much stronger than in the first fight, I have no right to defeat, I will give everything, and I will win.”