News

MTK Cease Operations After Media Scrutiny

Things have gone from bad to worse for MTK Global and Probellum with the former ceasing operations as of today.

Last Wednesday and Thursday the two companies made statements in the wake of sanctions being imposed on Daniel Kinahan, the alleged head of an organisation responsible for murder, drug and firearms trafficking, and money laundering.

‘MTK parted ways with Mr Kinahan in 2017. He has had no interest in the business since then and will have no future involvement with us.’

‘We can confirm that we will not have any business relationship or communication with him whatsoever,’ said Probellum.

While the U.S Treasury’s $5 million dollar reward continues to hover over his head ‘that leads to the disruption of the KOCG (Kinahan Organised Crime Group) or Kinahan’s arrest or conviction’ there remains a mess to clean up for MTK and Probellum.

After the resignation of their CEO Bob Yalen MTK Global announced today that they would no longer function leaving many out of a job and fighters without management. Their statement said it was unfair the levels of scrutiny and criticism they have faced since the sanctioning by the US Government of Kinahan.

‘Since leading promoters have now informed us that they will be severing all ties with MTK and will no longer work with our fighters, we have taken the decision to cease operations at the end of this month.’

The question is what will happen to the number of fighters that had been under their management and promotional umbrella? Uncertain times for many.

‘Our priority in the weeks ahead will be to ensure that our world class boxers are supported to find new partnerships as swiftly as possible,’ the MTK statement read.

And after been rumoured a few days ago it was reported last night that Probellum’s five-fight TV deal with Eurosport has been brought to an end with two shows left to go. One of which is due to go ahead this weekend.

The main event should have been Paul Butler challenging John Riel Casimero for the WBO bantamweight title but the Filipino’s attempts to make weight via a sauna, something that the British Boxing Board of Control condemns, means Butler will now fight for an interim version against Jonas Sultan. Casimero’s team now have 48 hours to ‘show cause’ as to why he should not be stripped of his title.

All of this in a week when Tyson Fury, a known associate of Kinahan’s, and someone who has publicly praised him, is preparing for his second WBC heavyweight title defence against Dillian Whyte. Fury was pressed by media yesterday at the public workout about his relationship with Kinahan and the sanctions imposed on the Irishman.

“It’s none of my business,” Fury repeatedly said. And in an interview with Sky Sports where the champion grew more and more irate with the reporter who continually and rightly pushed the correct button.

“And I’ll be doing no more interviews with Sky,” said Fury ending the interview.

This is not the week that promoter Frank Warren had been hoping for.

So, it seems that the merry tune that had been played by Kinahan’s boxing friends and associates in recent times has now stopped.

Their silence has been deafening.