Francis Ngannou proved most predictions wrong by even being competitive in his boxing debut against WBC Heavyweight World Champion Tyson Fury.
The MMA star crossed over to boxing on an incredible stage – ten rounds against the biggest and best. Despite being given little to no chance of upsetting the odds, Ngannou knocked Fury down in the third round.
Reflecting on the counter left that shocked the boxing world, he told Club Shay Shay that it was far from his best connection.
“It wasn’t a strong punch, so I know that he’s gonna get up. It was a punch that hit his shoulder first before it his temple.”
Asked if it had been flush what would have happened, Ngannou had no doubt.
“Everyone will go down. Everyone will go down with a clean shot.”
Fury took a split-decision win in the end, but the 38-year-old believes he was cheated out of the win. He wants a rematch and said that, despite official records, Fury will enter the ring the challenger.
“Right now I want the rematch with Tyson. This fight built a lot of confidence in me, but also I think he took me a little lightly so he might come next time heavy. I want to feel it. I want the rematch.”
“I’m definitely gonna be prepared more. Put more work in. I was there and I know that I won. Even though they gave him a victory, he’s coming now as a challenger. He’s coming now to restore his reputation.”
Fury is tied up in an undisputed fight with Oleksandr Usyk, the first chapter of which takes place on February 17 before a rematch clause likely sees it happen again later in the year.
Meanwhile, Ngannou is expected to move back over to MMA.