Oscar De La Hoya has taken aim at the IBF for its decision to strip Terence Crawford of the welterweight world title.
Crawford had been WBO champion in the 147 ranks since a 2018 win over Jeff Horn, and had his chance to unify all the belts this year against Errol Spence Jr.
In what was billed as a 50/50 bout, Crawford shone and completely outclassed Spence, who would lose his WBA, WBC and IBF belts via ninth round stoppage.
Leaving the ring undisputed, ‘Bud’ faces a contractual rematch before seeking more success in a new division. If the second fight with Spence takes place at welterweight, it will not be for all four belts.
De La Hoya called the move ‘bulls**t’ and a ‘pathetic decision’ on the part of the IBF.
— Oscar De La Hoya (@OscarDeLaHoya) November 10, 2023
De La Hoya – who now heads Golden Boy Promotions following an excellent fighting career – has recently butted heads with Crawford over the business of the sport.
Crawford was not permitted a voluntary fight and was stripped because, given the contract, he cannot fulfil a mandatory defence. Fans have questioned why Spence was allowed to hold onto the belt for some time without the same fate.
Although Crawford is no longer undisputed, it’s not likely to bother him much given that he has eyes on doing it all over again at either super-welterweight or, surprisingly, all the way up at super-middleweight against Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez.
First is his rematch with Spence, and the weight and date are yet to be announced. Spence was keen on it being up at 154, but Crawford later said that this request wasn’t made official, so the contract says it will remain in the welterweight division.