With Ryan Garcia’s move up to super lightweight confirmed and a new trainer in tow, he’s starting to talk dance partners.
The 24-year-old is coming off a loss to Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis in what was the most-discussed and financially successful bout of the year so far.
Garcia was downed by a body shot in the seventh round from which he couldn’t get up, but took the defeat well. In the aftermath, he has split with trainer Joe Goossen in favour of Derrick James, and said he will officially move up to 140lbs.
He has now named three men he’d like to face, but all with some caveats.
“Three people I want to fight next. Rolly – they just ordered for him to fight someone else. Isaac Cruz – if he’s willing to go to 140. Teofimo López – depending on outcome [of his next fight.]”
Calling out Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero – who was stopped by Davis last year – was nailed on when the 28-year-old won the WBA super lightweight title against Ismael Barroso in very controversial fashion.
Now a world champion with a shallow record, there’s a long line of people looking to relieve him of that status. Although, as Garcia points out, Romero has been ordered by the sanctioning body to defend against the UK’s Ohara Davies.
Isaac Cruz has also lost to ‘Tank’ Davis, but managed to take the Baltimore fighter the distance – only one of two men who can claim that. He’s a career lightweight, but has floated a move up in the past for a big fight.
Finally, Teofimo Lopez. He faces WBO champion, Josh Taylor, on June 10, and would be the money fight out of the three for Garcia should he come through victorious.
Garcia’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, recently told media that he would be presenting four opponent options to his fighter.