Ryan Garcia has made it clear that he will be taking time to ‘think about a lot of things’ before moving ahead in his boxing career.
The 24-year-old came up short against Gervonta Davis is the biggest boxing event of the year so far, a seventh round body shot rendering him unable to fight on.
At the post-fight press conference – with his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, notably absent – Garcia said he would be moving up to super lightweight.
“I’m going to 140. You know, this fight’s not gonna deter me too much [from] my dreams. I got in there with one of the best. We fought. I thought I did what I had [to do] to get in the ring.
But I’ll feel much stronger at 140 … I’m gonna feel good. I’m gonna go up and fight the top fighters at 140, and that’s what I plan to do.”
Now that the dust has settled, at a recent media event De La Hoya discussed ‘great plans’ for Garcia that would get him ‘back to the top.’ The promoter also said that his fighter would learn from mistakes.
In direct response, Garcia had this to say:
“I haven’t talked to anyone regarding how I’m going to move forward. I’m taking time to think about a lot of things. I wanted to make that VERY CLEAR!”
I haven’t talked to anyone regarding how I’m going to move Foward. I’m taking time to think about a lot of things. I wanted to make that VERY CLEAR! https://t.co/95d1MmyogT
— RYAN GARCIA (@RyanGarcia) April 28, 2023
His consideration of ‘a lot of things’ will be interpreted every which way by fans, not least his relationship with De La Hoya as well as trainer, Joe Goossen, who was also nowhere to be seen at the post-fight press conference.
As ‘Tank’ moves forward and is being called on to face the winner of undisputed lightweight champ, Devin Haney, against Vasiliy Lomachenko, or even recent addition to the division, Shakur Stevenson, Garcia’s future is unclear.
The super fight seems to have thrown up more questions than answers for the young man from California.