Teofimo Lopez recently confirmed that he would be reversing his retirement decision and sticking around, but he seems no closer to having an opponent for his next fight.
The 26-year-old from Brooklyn put in one of the best performances of his career this year to dethrone previously undefeated and undisputed Josh Taylor in the super lightweight ranks.
That makes Lopez a two-division champion with plenty more to come, but an annoyance with the politics of the sport and some personal issues saw him announce his leave immediately after the win.
When the WBO forced his hand, he said he would fight on, but that was in the hope of a contest with undisputed lightweight champion Devin Haney which is now off the table.
Bob Arum, who has handled a large chunk of Lopez’ career, is working to find an opponent.
Speaking to FightHype, the veteran promoter is clearly confident of keeping Teo in his stable, and named two potentials to fill the opposite corner next.
“I talked to Teofimo. He’s gotta get his head into it. We want him to definitely to fight this year, maybe on Heisman night. And the logical opponents would be either Ramirez or Barboza and we’ll see which one makes the most sense.”
“Barboza called me yesterday, with his father, for me to make that fight. I would assume that I can make it.”
Lopez, though, does not agree with the plans in the slightest. Responding to an article on the subject, he simply said no.
— Teofimo Lopez (@TeofimoLopez) August 16, 2023
It’s the latest instalment in the unpredictable career of Lopez, who hasn’t yet confirmed he will be returning to the ring this year.