Terence Crawford has reiterated his willingness to face Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez at super-middleweight despite currently competing three divisions down.
The undisputed welterweight champion is the talk of the sport following a stellar win over Errol Spence Jr. So good was his performance that ‘Bud’ is being mentioned as one of the greatest ever.
It’s a status he wants to cement, and believes putting on over 20 pounds of fighting weight and challenging the elite Mexican is the way to do it.
Canelo is currently scheduled to face Jermell Charlo – another undisputed champ moving up weight classes – on September 30, and Crawford told The 3 Knockdown Rule podcast that he wants him should he win.
“Why is it ridiculous? I meant what I said. Listen, that would be my opportunity to show everybody how great Terence Crawford really is.
If Canelo win that [Charlo] fight and accept my challenge and I come up to 168 for undisputed in his weight, then, man, I’mma just show everybody that skills pay the bills. And I got the skills to do it all in that ring.”
“That’s the next fight to be made, if me and Spence not the next one.
Canelo has previously said in passing that he would be willing to face Crawford at super-middle, but that’s as far as the plans go.
Another potential stumbling block is Spence Jr, who has a contractual rematch clause with Crawford that’s his to activate.
Charlo will also have something to say come fight night next month in Las Vegas, with no intention of leaving the ring the loser.
There are many pieces in play for the fight to happen, but the fact that Crawford seems set on it bodes well for fans – after all, he’s achieved everything else he’s planned to do.