As sure as the sun will rise, we’ve had another development in the potential clash between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua for the WBC belt at the end of the year.
Frank Warren sat down with IFL TV to give the latest update on the fight that seemed impossible just last week. Firstly, he addressed the back and forth around the potential date for the fight – confirming what his fighter said yesterday.
“The original offer talked about the 12th of [November] because we were trying to get it [at Old Trafford] but they said he [AJ] wouldn’t be ready. So Tyson said we’ve got another couple of dates – which [are] the 27th of November and the 3rd of December – and, as Tyson said yesterday, pick one of those dates. It’s as simple as that. That’s where we’re at.”
AJ’s team had originally asked for December 17th, saying that the former champ wouldn’t be ready before then following his 12 rounder with Oleksandr Usyk. Asked if there was a deadline to accept the terms, Warren said that AJ and Matchroom must do so today.
“Today. What’s there to discuss? There’s nothing to discuss is there really. George [Warren] is talking to Matchroom and they’ll obviously have their discussions, but nucleus of the deal – the most important points of the deal – shouldn’t be a problem.”
‘The Gypsy King’ upped the stakes further, vowing to post a video once an hour, every hour until Joshua agrees to the fight. He says December 17 was never an option.
“I’m going to do a video – one an hour for the full f*****g day until you agree or don’t agree”
“Just to clarify, there has never been a December 17th date. Ever. There’s only ever been November the 26th at Wembley, or December 3rd at Cardiff.”
“This is it now AJ, Eddie – don’t get scared now. Agree to the fight and let’s give the fans what they want.”
— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) September 8, 2022
Another area where fans foresee the fight falling through is broadcast rights. Warren, whose son is handling negotiations with Matchroom, said if BT Sport were to agree a dual broadcast that he would be fine with it, although he was keen to point out that Fury’s side should be making the decisions.
“That’s something that has to be resolved and it’s got to be resolved with BT, because he [Fury] has a commitment with BT.
“If everybody’s cool with that [a dual broadcast], for me it’s not a problem. But everybody’s acting like AJ is an undefeated fighter and this is a mandatory defence. Tyson’s giving him an opportunity to get back into the big time. That’s the bottom line.”
Whether the ultimatum will work or not remains to be seen, but if Fury’s side are to be believed, we’ll have more news before tomorrow.