Oleksandr Usyk’s unified heavyweight title defence against WBA mandatory challenger, Daniel Dubois, is set for purse bids on May 25.
The Ukrainian – who collected all the belts at cruiserweight before moving up to the top division – beat Anthony Joshua for the WBA, WBO and IBF belts and then won again in a rematch to retain them.
Following failed negotiations to face Tyson Fury in an undisputed bout, Usyk confirmed that he would fulfil his mandatory obligations – the first being that of the WBA and their Regular Champion, Dubois.
The sanctioning body had allowed both teams to enter negotiations for a 30-day period ending on May 2, but Usyk’s promoter, Alex Krassyuk, told Boxing Social they called for purse bids before that final deadline.
“We called the immediate purse bid on April 27th but it took a month to make it happen. We are bidding on behalf of the Champion and we have everything in place.”
Krassyuk believes that their bid – one which he has previously stated could see the fight land in Poland should it win – will be accompanied by at least two others, including Dubois’ representatives, Queensberry Promotions. He also mentioned a strategy that may be in play.
“I know that there will be more than two bidders including Queensberry Promotions. It is also possible that someone else bids on their behalf to secure the higher bid in order to withdraw in case the lower bid is also workable.”
It is a fair procedure when the agreement has not been found. Whoever bids more – wins, very simple.”
Eddie Hearn recently told Boxing Social that he would consider making a bid despite not having either fighter in his stable.
Krassyuk reaffirmed Usyk’s desire to serve his ordered defences as champion, describing it as ‘important’ despite the previous promise of a Fury fight massively outweighing its draw.
“This is an important event for Usyk and for us. We have prepared everything already and wait for the outcome.”
Asked if he was confident that the fight would be next for his man, the promoter said yes, so long as Dubois doesn’t pull out after the purse bid process.
“If he does not withdraw after the purse bids then definitely yes.”
There have been questions surrounding the 25-year-old Brit’s plans due to disruption in his training camp in the form of a split from Shane McGuigan and a move to Don Charles. Krassyuk’s words perhaps settle any rumours that he will not be taking part in the process.
The purse bid is set to take place in Houston, Texas on May 25. As champion, Usyk will be entitled to 75% of the winning bid.