After finally making some progress in their negotiations last week by agreeing financial terms, the latest demand from Tyson Fury sees Oleksandr Usyk’s team downbeat about the fight going ahead.
The purse split was a sticking point for weeks of talks until Usyk publicly accepted Fury’s offer of 70/30 – one which many in the sport feel is underselling the Ukrainian and the three heavyweight belts he brings to the table.
Still, Usyk agreed and Fury’s promoter, Frank Warren, said that contracts were being finalised. Today, Fury took issue with the proposal of a rematch clause being within the terms, and demanded the fight go ahead without it.
That latest video has prompted Alex Krassyuk, Usyk’s promoter, to respond via TalkSPORT with the update that many fans expected but didn’t want to hear.
“The greedy belly is still trying to find a way to pull out. He bluffed and Usyk called his bluff.”
“It’s all about nothing. He is not prepared, he is scared to fight and will try to find a way to avoid Usyk as long as it is possible. We don’t trust him.”
Krassyuk went on to address the rematch clause specifically, stating that Fury’s side asked for it in the first place. He then said that he doesn’t believe the fight will go ahead on April 29 at Wembley Stadium.
“When we started negotiations, Fury’s side was the first to ask for a rematch clause. I don’t believe anyone will fight. Even if we accept this now, he will still try to find a way out. His credibility is already shot to pieces.
“It’s not serious already, the man is trying to escape. I’m really sorry for fighting fans. It’s a shame for a fighter to act like that. It’s not about money, it’s about fear. I don’t feel this fight will happen on April 29.”
Whether Krassyuk is planning on continuing negotiations by just pushing the timeline back or if he’s done with them entirely remains to be seen. Either way, it appears the cracks are beginning to show just days after being plastered over.