Peter Fury says his son Hughie would have no problem taking on Robert Helenius in a WBA world heavyweight title eliminator.
Along with the news that Daniel Dubois and Regular champion Trevor Bryan have 180 days to negotiate a deal for their title fight, the sanctioning body also ordered the eliminator between Fury (26-3, 15 KOs) and Helenius (31-3, 20 KOs).
Boxing Social asked Hughie’s father and trainer if the fight against ‘The Nordic Nightmare’ was something they would entertain.
“Of course, it’s a fight,” he replied.
Whether or not it will be Hughie’s next fight remains to be seen.
“No idea,” said Peter. “The WBA will fix it whenever.”
In the latest round of their rankings Helenius and Fury sit at number three and four respectively. The two teams have 180 days from January 29 to negotiate a deal for the fight to take place.
Fury, who now fights on Sky Sports, has fought seven times since losing to Joseph Parker for the New Zealander’s WBO heavyweight title in 2017. While two judges scored it 118-110 for the champion judge Rocky Young had the bout a draw. For many the British fighter had done enough.
Since then, the 27-year-old has picked up the British heavyweight title and beaten the likes of Mariuz Wach and Christian Hammer. The two blots on the record since the loss to Parker have come against Kubrat Pulev and Alexander Povetkin. On both occasions Fury lost on points.
38-year-old Helenius is on a three-fight win streak that includes back to back wins against Adam Kownacki.