WBC Interim heavyweight champion Dillian Whyte says he is devastated by the late postponement of his clash with Otto Wallin after the Brixton banger sustained a shoulder injury that worsened in the final stages of training camp.

Whyte had been scheduled to face the dangerous Swedish southpaw at the O2 Arena on October 30, with the WBC mandating that the winner be next in line to face its heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.

“I am devastated as I had a great camp, was in great shape, and had great sparring,” said Whyte in a statement. “I was looking forward to knocking Wallin out and would have done so in the first half of the fight. 

“I am devastated about not being able to fight on October 30 but I want to thank everyone for all of their support.”

Whyte’s physician Dr Harjinder Singh added: “Dillian sustained a shoulder injury during training in preparation for his planned fight on October 30 2021, which I have assessed and confirmed with diagnostic imaging.

“I have treated the injury, but the injury will unfortunately prevent him from fighting on October 30 2021. With immediate rest, physiotherapy and rehabilitation there should be no enduring concerns.”

The O2 Arena show will proceed as planned, headlined by WBC 140lbs champion Chantelle Cameron’s unification bout with IBF title holder Mary McGee, confirmed Matchroom Boxing Chairman Eddie Hearn.

“Dillian carried this injury for the last couple of weeks but it worsened in sparring on Monday night and it was impossible for him to continue,” said Hearn. “It’s a huge shame because Dillian had a great camp before the injury and was ready to go. The show will continue on October 30 without Dillian and we wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back in the ring very soon.”

Refunds are available at the point of purchase.

Main image: Matchroom Boxing.