Dillian Whyte is relishing his revenge mission against Alexander Povetkin and promising a knockout response.
The Brixton banger was stunningly wiped out by a Povetkin left uppercut in late August just as he seemed on the brink of securing a WBC heavyweight title shot against Tyson Fury in early 2021.
Whyte firmly believes he will vindicate himself in the return bout on November 21, televised on Sky Box Office in the UK.
“I’m over the moon to have the rematch,” said Whyte (27-2, 18 KOs). “As soon as I got out of the ring, I was looking for confirmation that the fight would be on. I can’t wait to get back in the ring and get back what is rightfully mine. I’m looking to do what I said I would the first time and that’s beat Alexander Povetkin.
“There won’t be any major adjustments, but I just need to be more switched on and not get distracted. He was able to use his experience against me. I will be a lot more focused and sharper in the rematch. I’m coming to win and knock him out. I’m coming to even the score and the only way to do that is by knocking him out.”
A relaxed Povetkin (36-2-1, 25 KOs) is aiming for a repeat dose, but is full of respect for Whyte after recovering from two knockdowns to secure his sensational fifth round win last month.
“I’ve rested well, spent time with my family, and now that the date of the rematch is known, I will soon return to my training camp and prepare as thoroughly as I did for the first fight,” said WBC interim champion Povetkin. “As I said before the first fight and after it, too, Dillian Whyte is a good, strong boxer. I will be ready to enter the ring on November 21. I hope it will be another beautiful fight for the fans.”
Main image: Whyte on top against Povetkin before the stunning finale. Photo: Mark Robinson/Matchroom.