News

Wilder tries to force Fury trilogy

Deontay Wilder won’t let his contracted trilogy fight with Tyson Fury go lightly. The bout had been beset with problems through scheduling due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and a bicep injury to Wilder before the Fury side pulled out claiming the contract had expired.

Having destroyed Wilder in seven rounds in their February rematch following a contested draw in December 2018, WBC king Fury has since moved on with a defence against German Agit Kabayel (20-0, 13 KOs) set to be announced for London on December 5. 

But Team Wilder maintains they still have a binding agreement and will now take Fury to mediation, according to the Bronze Bomber’s co-manager Shelly Finkel.

“In our contract, if there is a dispute it goes to mediation and that’s what’s going to happen,” Finkel told journalist Dan Rafael of Boxingscene.com. “And [then] binding arbitration if mediation is unsuccessful.”

Mediation is set to begin this week, according to Finkel, though Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum, a seasoned lawyer outside of the boxing sphere, was less than impressed by the Wilder position.

“It’s ludicrous but everybody is entitled,” Top Rank chairman Arum told Rafael. “[Donald] Trump is entitled to contest the election. Finkel is entitled to contest the contract. It is what it is.”