Terence Crawford recently laid out the terms that would need to be agreed for him to face Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez.
‘Bud’ Crawford became undisputed at welterweight with a career-best performance over Errol Spence Jr – so good in fact that the predictions that it would be a close fight were proven to be far off the mark.
With that victory and a fresh argument for being the very best in the world, the Omaha native is being discussed with other generational greats.
One name that has cropped up is Canelo’s. Crawford recently said he would be open to meeting the Mexican at 158 or 160lbs, despite previously claiming that 154 is his ceiling in the sport.
Speaking to media at the kick-off presser for his upcoming bout with Jermell Charlo, Canelo responded to the call out, confirming that anything below his current weight class of 168lbs was, at 33-years-old, no longer an option.
“I can’t go down anymore. Like he says when they ask him about Gervonta Davis, it’s the same for me. Everybody’s gonna say, ‘He’s too small.’ Nobody’s gonna give me credit for that.”
With that fight off the table, Crawford will focus on moving to 154lbs and picking up titles in a fourth division. He has a contractual rematch with Spence that he may have to honour before doing so.
As for Canelo, Charlo is looking to relieve him of his undisputed title, and he will need to be at his best to keep it come September 30 in Las Vegas.
The American is stepping away from the super-welterweight ranks and his champion status there to jump up two weight classes and face Álvarez.