Carlos Takam has the opportunity of a lifetime next Saturday as he steps into the ring with Anthony Joshua in front of a massive audience in Cardiff.
The Frenchman will challenge Joshua for the WBA, IBF, and IBO titles. It goes without saying that the third-ranked IBF mandatory challenger is in a tough spot, but he’s ready to rumble nonetheless.
“I don’t know if I’m excited stressed or confused but I’m definitely ready for the fight. It will be a proper fight,” said Takam to Sky Sports.
Takam has fought on foreign soil before, most notably in New Zealand against the current WBO World heavyweight champion, Joseph Parker and in Russia against Alexander Povetkin. Takam lost both fights and he has a similar quest coming up, but he says fear will not take over.
“I’m not scared, 80,000 fans means nothing to me. I’ve boxed in New Zealand, Canada, Russia [so] that won’t faze me. It’s about what happens in the ring. It’s about me and him,” he explained.
Joshua has stated earlier that Takam’s smaller than average heavyweight boxer height might require some adjustments from ‘AJ’. According to Takam, his and Joshua’s styles will mix well.
“AJ is a good boxer who likes to box and I like opponents who like to come forward and throw punches. I like to get stuck in as well. I believe in myself. I never go into a fight thinking I might lose – I’m a winner, I like to win not to lose,” told Takam.
Joshua and Takam will step into the ring on October 28th at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.