Don King and Daniel Dubois have settled their lawsuit.
The fighter, who claimed the WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight title with a sensational fourth-round knockout win in his last fight, sued the promoter after he was not paid in full.
Dubois iced Trevor Bryan, who was previously unbeaten in 22 fights, at the Casino Miami Jai Alai in Miami, Florida back in June to claim a secondary belt in the sport’s premier division.
But ‘Dynamite’, who moved to 18-1 (17 KOs) with the win, sued King in early August claiming he had not been paid and it was settled earlier this week in circuit court in Broward County, Florida.
Dubois’ purse was due to be $1,402,200.45, his 45 per cent share of King’s winning $3,116,001 purse bid, while now-ex-champ Bryan was entitled to the other 55 per cent.
King, 91, said he had paid the 24-year-old’s IRS bill, which is typical for promoters to withhold from the purse of a foreign fighter, and he also handled Dubois’ obligation to pay the WBA sanctioning fees.
According to Sportsmail, King sent Dubois a payment of $319,561 and was scheduled to send a further $134,700. Dubois’ legal team confirmed the money was received and his lawyer, Leon Margules, told Sportsmail: ‘That will close it up, then I will dismiss the case.’
Dubois has bounced back since suffering a fractured eye socket in the defeat to Joe Joyce with three early finishes, the latest of which was the win over Bryan who made one successful defence of the title he won against Bermane Stiverne in Hollywood back in January last year.