Dillian Whyte is in receipt of a contract to rematch Anthony Joshua, but promoter Eddie Hearn is still skeptical it goes ahead.
The pair have long been rumoured to reignite the 2015 feud that ended with a Joshua KO, but Whyte recently claimed that the other side ‘weren’t serious’ when it came down to actually making the second fight happen.
He did a series of interviews this week claiming that the offer that had been spoken about was a ‘three-line email’ and that he was ignored when he asked further questions.
‘The Bodysnatcher’ then told TalkSPORT that he would accept the terms as they were. In response to this, Hearn claimed that the numbers were initially rejected, but said he would now send a contract.
Despite those positive steps, the promoter told Boxing Social that he didn’t expect it to get over the line.
“The contract’s gone this morning [Saturday], so it’s with them. Not really [expecting it to be signed] in all honesty. If they want the fight, it’s there. It’s not gonna be difficult. They’ve said the agree to the offer, which initially was completely unacceptable apparently.
We’ve got to move. So they’re going to have their time – I’m not gonna announce AJ’s fight tonight – I’m gonna give them the time to review it and if they wanna do it they can do it.”
Hearn then once again confirmed that Agit Kabayel was in the running to face his man should Whyte decide not to accept the offer, as well as two other heavyweights.
With an August 12 date booked at London’s O2 Arena, an announcement is expected imminently.