Frank Warren has delivered news that fight fans around the world were dreading this morning – by confirming that Tyson Fury has “had enough” of negotiations with team Joshua for the all British mega fight.
Speaking to Piers Morgan, the Queensberry boss confirmed that Fury had decided to pull the plug on the all-British heavyweight dust up “at the moment”, saying the WBC king had grown tired of the negotiation process with AJ’s team.
“Tyson’s adamant, he gave that deadline on Friday and repeated it Saturday.
He’s said “enough is enough”. They’ve had the contract for over 10 days, we’ve had conversations today with the other side but Tyson’s had enough of it – so that’s it.
He’s the champion, he’s the guy that matters and he makes the decision – and that’s his decision at the moment.”
"It's your fault it's not going on!"
Boxing promoter Frank Warren gives his response to Tyson Fury saying he won't be fighting Anthony Joshua.
@frankwarren_tv | @piersmorgan | @Tyson_Fury | @TalkTV | #PMUpic.twitter.com/B1BoNyy3JD
— Piers Morgan Uncensored (@PiersUncensored) September 26, 2022
Warren’s words will come as a dagger to the heart of the British boxing public, who had been growing tentatively optimistic that the defining heavyweight fight of this generation could finally be delivered on December 3rd in Cardiff.
Excitement reached fever pitch when Joshua sensationally agreed to the terms set out by Fury, which included a 60/40 split as well as a rematch clause in Fury’s favour.
However, concerns that the fight would not materialise began to grow over the past week and it became apparent over the weekend that the previous positivity emanating from both camps had gone – with Eddie Hearn accusing Fury of having ‘bluffed everyone.’
It seems more likely now that Fury will fight fringe (at best) heavyweight contender Manuel Charr, who has been posting social media call outs of Fury and whom ‘The Gypsy King’ said he would fight should Joshua fail to sign the contract by this past Monday.
Although an extreme optimist could try and claim this is mere negotiation tactics from team Fury, it would appear that the fight is unlikely to happen, we await to hear from Joshua’s team for their response today.