Tyson Fury’s UK promoter, Frank Warren, has said that negotiations are still ongoing with Oleksandr Usyk to make an undisputed heavyweight title fight for the first time in over two decades.
Talks officially began back in December of 2022, with fans assured that nothing would stand in the way of the bout going ahead early this year.
Timelines were pushed back and locations vetoed, and now we find ourselves almost in March with no signed contract.
The latest stumbling block is reported to be the purse split. With Saudi Arabia apparently off the table to play host, the duties fall to Wembley Stadium in London.
Whilst that’s good news for Fury fans, it means that the financial side of things needs looking at, with the UK revenue paling in comparison to the Middle East.
‘The Gypys King’s US promoter, Bob Arum, was previously adamant that the fighter split would not be 50/50 if the contest took place in Fury’s home country.
Warren told TalkSPORT that work was still ongoing behind the scenes, and strongly hinted that his fighter would take the stage on April 29 at Wembley with or without the Ukrainian.
“We’re still working on this … I think we will this week, one way or another, be resolved. And I’m hoping we can get it done, but it’s not for the want of trying, I promise you that.”
“Tyson wants to be out. He wants to fight in late April, so that’s what we’re working towards and I hope that it’s Usyk in the opposite corner.”
Team Usyk have claimed that they only want what’s fair for them man in terms of reward, so recent comments from Fury’s father, John, that 30% may be correct likely won’t sit well with them.
As April closes in, the four-belt clash looks less and less likely.