Last week it was reported that Manny Pacquiao was out of the rematch against Jeff Horn, the current WBO World welterweight champion.
Horn’s trainer, Glenn Rushton explained the situation.
“We have had offers to fight in the Philippines but there are concerns over whether we would get paid and we have an agreement to fight here. If it does not happen we will move on. Manny has plenty of advisers. One minute it is on the next it is off. We had locked it in for Suncorp on November 12.,’’ Rushton told according to Worldboxingnews.net.
Now it’s ‘Pac-Man’s’ turn to speak about the rematch.
He confirms that rematch talks are still on going but he is not willing to fight in Australia.
“It will not push through there in Australia, but we are bringing the fight here in the Philippines. This will be good for our country’s tourism.” Pacquiao said on radio station DZBB according to boxingscene.com
Pacquiao’s people recently announced that the former world champion cannot accept the fight against Horn on November 12th at the Suncorp Stadium in Australia because of other commitments.
Horn managed to get the best of Pacquiao in a twelve round close fight and eventually captured the WBO title. The Australian’s decision win caused a serious amount of controversy within the boxing community. A group of judges even had to watch and score the fight again. They all came to the same conclusion that Horn won.
So far there is no official word if the rematch will actually happen this year. Horn’s trainer revealed a group of names that might get the call against the WBO champion.
“Mundine [Anthony] is not the fight that’s hot on the radar, but you’ve got to keep the doors open. He’s still got plenty of support, but I’m not sure we’re seriously considering it,” said the trainer according to boxingscene.com.
Mundine is a top draw in Australia but the 42-year old fighter is not exactly the most competitive match-up for Horn. Rushton also mentioned Miguel Cotto and Terence Crawford, but both fighters are currently unavailable. Still, the trainer had names in mind.
“With those guys no chance of fighting this year, like I said we are searching from the top down, and Lamont [Peterson] or Jessie [Vargas] both having held belts are both in our sights,” he revealed.
Vargas is the former WBO World welterweight champion, a title he lost to Manny Pacquiao in his previous fight.
Peterson won the WBA World welterweight championship this year after a unanimous decision win over David Avanesyan. Peterson has also been linked to a possible fight against Amir Khan.
Horn’s trainer told that they would like to get something official done this week.
“I want something locked in this week if we can.”