Shakur Stevenson has publicly declined what he sees as a lowball offer, and fans believe the man who made it is Devin Haney.
The two-division world champion is just one fight into his 135lbs campaign, but has already found himself in the mandatory slot for Haney’s world titles. Whether or not it happens is another story.
Haney, who became four-belt champion with a win over George Kambosos Jr, recently made the second defence of his status against Vasily Lomachenko. He bested the Ukrainian on the cards, although many in the sport feel it was undeserved.
Regardless, he moves on, and a big decision lies ahead. It’s no secret that Haney is tight at the weight, and he’s teased a move up to 140lbs for some time now.
Despite being in public talks with some of the super-lightweight champions, it appears negotiations have commenced with Stevenson’s team. J Prince, Shakur’s manager and mentor, recently said they were ready and willing.
Stevenson himself has been calling for the fight, but his latest post on social media doesn’t bode well. He said he would not take 25% of a purse split.
Nah I’m not gone take 25% but u knew that already Lil bruh be realistic 😴
— Shakur Stevenson (@ShakurStevenson) July 1, 2023
Whilst not mentioning Haney by name, fans believe it’s him Stevenson is referring to. It’s well documented to be the top of Stevenson’s priority list, and he has previously said that his team have been instructed to make his mandatory challenge happen.
Pair that with Prince’s comments that the other side ‘overbidding’ themselves was a possibility, and it seems Stevenson does believe he’s being undervalued by Haney. Both are under the Top Rank banner, although Haney’s deal did end with the Lomachenko fight.
As per the WBC’s rules – the sanctioning body in which Stevenson is mandatory – a purse split for an ordered fight with no previously agreed deal will be 55/45 in favour of the champion. This can and has been changed for contests in the past.
Stevenson has also expressed an interest in facing Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis, but the undefeated Baltimore star is currently in jail following a breach of house arrest.
A Lomachenko bout is a possibility, but Stevenson claimed in another tweet that he had been informed the 35-year-old’s team aren’t keen.