It’s being reported that Tyson Fury has reached an agreement with his old pal – or enemy, depending on which day you ask them – Derek Chisora to fight on December 3.
‘The Gypsy King’ had been deep into negotiations for a bout with Anthony Joshua, however things fell apart as many predicted they would. For a moment after, the WBC Champion verbally agreed to fight Mahmoud Charr – a name so out of the blue in the heavyweight scene that fans had to check he was even ranked in the top 15. He wasn’t.
Now, following news that he had sent a contract to his former opponent, The Sun has suggested that Derek Chisora will be the man to face Fury in Cardiff on December 3 with the deal “verbally agreed”. ‘Del Boy’ – ranked number 14 in the WBC’s heavyweight list – falls within the rules of a voluntary defence and will certainly do his bit to sell some tickets for the Principality stadium. In fact, the build up has already started – the pair got into it recently in the crowd for Joe Joyce’s win against Joseph Parker.
Having said that, many in the sport feel like old ground is being unnecessarily covered here. The pair have faced twice already in 2011 and 2014. One a decision victory, the other by way of stoppage – both for Tyson Fury.
There’s no doubt that Chisora has been through a career resurgence since those fights, but many would argue that Fury has improved too. The betting odds, when released, will heavily favour ‘The Gypsy King.’
Fury has said in an Instagram story that he will announce his opponent this week, so fans of the sport don’t have long to wait until ‘WAR’ Chisora is confirmed or Charr manages to pop up again somehow. Knowing Fury, there may even be a wildcard, but as it stands, Derek Chisora looks like the man. If the fight between the two Englishmen goes ahead, it will be the second trilogy of the Champion’s career, having not long come away from three against Deontay Wilder.