In a week dominated by the Amir Khan-Kell Brook fight week there have been plenty goings on in the boxing world outside of Manchester.
New signings, fights being agreed and a reality star deciding to enter the squared circle.
Welcome to this week’s Hooks and Jabs.
Unbeaten Australian super-welterweight Tim Tszyu is willing to step in and face Jermell Charlo on March 19. Charlo’s original opponent was to be a rematch with Brian Castano for all four world titles, but the Argentinian has withdrawn due to injury.
In a statement on Facebook, Team Tszyu wrote: “We have put it out there if Castano is out, we will happily step in and take Charlo.” The WBO mandatory challenger had been due to face Terrell Gausha in the chief support bout.
Teofimo Lopez’ move to super-lightweight looks to be official with the former unified lightweight world champion given a top five ranking by the WBC in their latest ratings. His rumoured next opponent Arnold Barboza is two places below him in the top ten.
In other Teo news speculation continues to mount that ‘The Takeover’ will be trained by Eddy Reynoso.
Geordie Shore star Aaron Chalmers has signed a promotional deal with Boxxer and will fight on Sky Sports. The 34-year-old, who competed in Bellator MMA, will be managed and trained by Adam Booth.
“I’m going to give it my all,” said Chalmers.
An agreement has been reached for WBC Bridgerweight champion Oscar Rivas to make the first defence of his title against the Russian unbeaten mandatory challenger Evgeny Romanov. Date and venue to be announced.
Commonwealth lightweight champion Gavin Gwynne will make the second defence of his title against Luke Willis on April 15 at York Hall.
The Welshman won the vacant title with a superb performance stopping Sean McComb in seven rounds 12 months ago. Liverpool’s Willis earned his shot following a points win over Rylan Charlton in October.
WBA number three super-lightweight contender Ohara ‘Two Tanks’ Davies hopes Probellum will provide him with his first world title opportunity after his signing with the promotional outfit was announced on Thursday. The polarising 30-year-old has two losses on his record to undisputed 140lbs champion Josh Taylor and the Scot’s February 26 opponent Jack Catterall.
Queensberry Promotions are moving back into woman’s boxing. The team that once promoted double Olympic Gold medallist and former world champion Nicola Adams have signed former Team GB member Raven Chapman.
A pro since September 2021 ‘The Omen’ has summoned up two wins in her career to date but the featherweight will now have the backing of Frank Warren and BT Sport. “I want to rule the featherweights,” said Chapman.